Friday, May 6, 2011

My Morning Cup of José

I made a last minute addition to my Cinco de Mayo Fiesta, Horchata. I used a recipe from Martha Stewart Living but had to modify it since I didn’t have rice or almond flour on hand. The sticky, sweet, cinnamon-vanilla, drink was a hit with my boys. I had some leftover and I added it to my morning coffee. I didn’t need the rum this early in the morning so I left it out. You can be sure the next time we have company for brunch I’ll be serving steaming hot cups of José (with the rum).

Horchata
4 cups whole milk
1 cinnamon stick
1 can (14 ounces sweetened condensed milk)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ cup dark or light rum (optional)

Bring whole milk and cinnamon stick to a simmer.
Remove from heat.
Whisk in condensed milk and vanilla.
Cool slightly.
Transfer to a pitcher.
Refrigerate until cold.
Drink over ice or use to sweeten and lighten your coffee in one pour.

No comments:

Post a Comment