Monday, April 11, 2011

On Top of Spaghetti

My boys love meatballs and you may have noticed that they are on my meal plan at least once, most weeks. I always have some in the freezer. When I make a batch I cook and freeze them in two sizes. Tiny walnut sized ones are great to serve as appetizers. For an easy cocktail party serve them with a Red Pepper and Feta Dip. Add a hunk of feta cheese, some olives, hummus and pita chips and you have an instant trip to the Mediterranean. Or start an Indian Night with mini meatballs dipped into a Creamy Mango Yogurt Sauce (made my mixing Greek yogurt, mango chutney and lime zest).

Larger golf ball sized ones are great to use for a quick dinner. Favorites in my house include Swedish Style with lingonberry jam, steamed potatoes and carrots, Sweet and Sour over rice with sugar snap peas and broccoli, Stroganoff Style with buttered egg noodles and a beet salad, and of course on top of spaghetti. Since meatballs can become appetizers, sliders, sandwiches, or dinner shouldn't you have some in your freezer? I have modified Rao’s meatball recipe to suit my family--give it a try.

Meatballs
2 lbs ground beef or (1 lb beef, ½ lb veal, ½ lb pork)
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup grated pecorino
1 ½ tablespoon chopped flat leaf Italian parsley
1 clove of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
2 cups water (yes 2 cups)

Mix all ingredients together and shape into balls.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Bake for 10-15 minutes depending on size of meatballs.
When meatballs are cool freeze them in one layer on a sheet pan.
Once frozen transfer to zip top bags and you will always have something for dinner.

FYI
Mixture will seem wet but this will make the meatballs very tender.
Handle the mixture as little as possible or the meatballs with be very dense.

1 comment:

  1. meatballs = a win! I have to admit, I spend most of my time making one thing for me and one thing for my kids. Ugh! Exhausting. Meatballs worked for everyone. Let me know how you get S&A to be open to eating everything. Blog about it and I will follow your delicious lead. xo

    ReplyDelete